Everything You Should Know About Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation is said to occur in a man when he climaxes and ejaculates (releases semen) much earlier during sexual intercourse than he or his partner would want. This is a fairly common problem, affecting 1 in 3 men. This sexual complaint is not a disease as wrongly understood by many people.
Classification of Premature EjaculationThere are 2 types of premature ejaculation as mentioned below:
- Lifelong: This occurs nearly during the entire life of a man, beginning from the first sexual encounter.
- Acquired: This type develops in a man after having previous sexual experiences devoid of any ejaculation problems.
Phenomenon Behind Premature EjaculationEjaculation is a phenomenon that has two phases: emission and expulsion.
- Emission: Phase 1
- Expulsion: Phase 2
Symptoms of Premature EjaculationThis condition does not exhibit any symptoms except for inability to delay ejaculation for longer than three minutes after penetration. However, it can also occur at the time of masturbation.
Causes of Premature EjaculationPremature ejaculation may be caused due to physical, chemical, and emotional/psychological factors. All of these have been briefly described below. A. Physical and chemical factors
- Underlying erectile dysfunction problem
- Hormonal problem due to oxytocin levels, which plays a role in sexual health in men
- Other hormonal imbalances due to luteinizing hormone (LH), prolactin, and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Low dopamine or serotonin levels in the brain, that cause sexual excitement
- Penis that is extra sensitive to stimulation
- Performance anxiety while having sex with a new partner or after a long period of abstinence
- Guilty feelings
- Relationship problems
Diagnosis of Premature EjaculationDiagnosis of this condition includes a medical history and details about the sex life of the affected person. Sometimes, a physical examination might be required. If there is an early ejaculation and trouble getting or keeping an erection, in both these situations, your healthcare provider might order a few blood tests. These tests will help in checking the hormone levels.
Treatment of Premature EjaculationPsychological and behavioral therapy (sexual exercises) along with use of proper medication are the main treatments for overcoming premature ejaculation.
- Psychological therapy: This involves finding a work around to the feelings and emotions that can cause problems with sexual relationships. The aim of this therapy is to learn about the root cause of the problem and find effective solutions for it. Not only does this bring couples closer in bond but also removes performance anxiety, one of the causes of premature ejaculation. It makes the man gain greater sexual confidence and understand what makes his partner satisfied.
- Behavioral therapy: Behavioral therapy includes sexual exercises that help build tolerance and delays ejaculation. Squeeze method and stop-start method fall under this therapy.
- The Squeeze method: In this method, the male or his partner stimulates the penis till the point of ejaculation is reached. At this juncture, the penis is firmly squeezed so that the erection partly goes away. This method makes one aware of the sensations preceding a climax. With the help of this method, one can have a better control over climax and possibly delay it.
- The Stop-Start method: Here again, the penis is again stimulated until just before ejaculation. As you are about to climax, the penile stimulation is stopped until the urge to climax becomes less intense. Once you are in control of the situation, the penis is stimulated again. This process is repeated three times. During the fourth trial, the man ejaculates. Ideally, this method needs to be repeated three times a week until the affected individual has attained more control.
- Medical therapy: Certain antidepressants, numbing creams and sprays are known to delay orgasm. In case of numbing creams and sprays which are applied or sprayed on the head of the penis, about 20-30 minutes before having sex. If it is kept on for a longer duration than the recommended time, it may cause the erection to go away.
Home Remedies for Premature Ejaculation
- No good studies have established the role of diet in improving premature ejaculation
- Very scarce and poor quality studies have advised consumption of foods rich in magnesium and zinc such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and salmon fish, boosts testosterone levels which in turn, improves endurance and energy.
- Premature ejaculation. Urology Care Foundation. https://www.urologyhealth.org/urology-a-z/p/premature-ejaculation. Accessed on 27 September 2023.
- La J, Roberts NH, Yafi FA. Diet and Men’s Sexual Health. Sex Med Rev. 2018 Jan;6(1):54-68.
Author: Dr. Pramod Krishnappa